Divorce in Richland County Ohio

Richland County Ohio Domestic Relations CourtIf you are planning on filing for a divorce or dissolution or an action has been filed against you in Richland County, Ohio it is important for you to plan and know what to expect. Here’s a brief overview:

Richland County Common Pleas Court Domestic Relations Division

In Richland County, Ohio the Domestic Relations Court is located within the Common Pleas Court and has jurisdiction over the following domestic relations related matters:

  • Divorces – Both Contested and Uncontested
  • Marriage Dissolutions
  • Legal Separations
  • Annulments
  • Child Custody
  • Enforcement Actions
  • Parental Rights and Responsibilities
  • Child Support
  • Spousal Support
  • Parenting Time
  • Grandparent Rights
  • Child Visitation

The domestic relations attorneys at our law firm have extensive experience in Richland County, Ohio representing clients with all of the above listed domestic relations issues.

Divorce Action Filed Against You

If a divorce action is filed in Richland County against you, it’s highly recommended that you immediately contact an attorney who has extensive experience handling a variety of domestic relations issues in Richland County, Ohio.

It is also important that you promptly file an answer to the divorce complaint. This answer will need to be filed in writing in accordance with the form requirements of the Richland County Domestic Relations Court. The response must be filed timely and the requirements for the response can be extensive and complicated.

After you file your response, you will need to attend every hearing scheduled by the Court and keep the Court updated at all times with your contact information including your address.

Where To File for Divorce in Richland County

If you plan on filing for divorce in Richland County, Ohio, the divorce action needs to be filed at the Clerk of Court for Richland County. The Richland County Clerk of Courts office is located at 50 Park Ave. E, Mansfield, Ohio 44902. The telephone number for the Clerk of Courts is 419-774-5540 .

The Holmes County Common Pleas Court, Domestic Relations Division is also located at 50 Park Ave. E, Mansfield, Ohio 44902. The telephone number for the Court is 419-774-5573.

What Happens Next

After you file your divorce action, your spouse or partner (the person you are divorcing) will have an opportunity to file an answer to your complaint. In addition to filing an answer, your spouse or partner may wish to file a counterclaim.

Uncontested Divorce

If your spouse or partner (the person you are divorcing) files no answer, your case will be set for an uncontested divorce hearing. You will need to appear at the hearing and give testimony regarding the grounds for the divorce, your assets and debts, and the needs of minor children, if any. Generally, the assets and debts will be divided as you requested provided the division is fair and equitable based on the evidence presented to the Court. If you and your spouse or partner have a valid separation agreement, the Court can divide your assets and debts according to the terms of the separation agreement.

Contested Divorce

If your spouse or partner (the person you are divorcing) files an answer, it is considered to be a contested divorce. In other words, you and your spouse or partner are not able to agree on how assets and liabilities and/or your parental rights and responsibilities are to be divided and shared. The Court will need to conduct a hearing and take evidence to decide issues. This can be a time consuming process.


A dissolution allows spouses and partners to terminate marriages by agreement without stating any reasons why they wish to end their marriages. To obtain a dissolution, you and your spouse or partner must enter into a written contract that divides all of your assets and debts and, if there are children, the agreement must allocate parental rights and responsibilities. This written contract is called a separation agreement. The separation agreement must address all of your assets, debts and the care, custody, control and support of any minor children of the marriage.

Your dissolution case will be scheduled for hearing after the petition for dissolution is filed. Both spouses or partners must be present for the hearing.

Checklist of Items for Filing a Divorce or Dissolution

The following lists items that may be required for a divorce or a dissolution with children and without children in Richland County, Ohio:

1. Family Law Information Sheet

2. A recent pay stub or equivalent

3. Tax returns for the past 3 tax years including all schedules

4. Copy of health insurance card

5. List of monthly expenses

6. Child care expenses

7. Cost of health insurance for children

The above checklist items are listed for example purposes only. There may be other documents, pleadings and filings required depending on the unique issues associated with your specific case.

Experience with Richland County Divorce

Richalnd County Ohio Divorce AttorneysThe domestic relations lawyers at our law firm have significant experience handling divorces and dissolutions in Richland County, Ohio.

Please contact us to talk about your divorce by calling 1-888-774-9265, chatting with one of our live chat operators (available 24/7/365) or send us a website message and we will reply promptly.

If you are a resident of Mansfield, Ontario, Shelby, Galion, Bellville, Butler, Crestline, Lexington, Lucas, Plymouth, Shiloh or any other town or village located within Richland County, Ohio, we have the experience with the Richland County Domestic Court System that’s needed.

For additional information about filing for divorce in Richland County, Ohio, please visit the following link: Richland County Domestic Relations Court

Dissolution & Divorce
Google Rating